For a change, forecasts of an upcoming snow storm are not hedging. A major storm is headed our way and will arrive Thursday night.
Winter storm Jonas will bring heavy snow, ice and strong winds. A massive winter storm warning goes into effect at midnight Thursday with Friday and Saturday bringing 14-20 inches of snow and/or ice before ending by 6 a.m. Sunday, a day forecast to be sunny with a high of 35 degrees and a warmer Monday of 43.
Temperatures will climb to 39 degrees Thursday before plunging to the lower 20s overnight and stay there for Friday. Saturday will be only a little warmer with a high of 29 and a low of 15 for the night.
The “winter storm warning” from the National Weather Service says:
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY…
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW… WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS… ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE INCLUDING PARTS OF SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA AND THE SOUTHERN SHENANDOAH VALLEY EAST INTO THE FOOTHILLS OF VIRGINIA.
* HAZARD TYPES… HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS… 14 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW.
* TIMING… SNOW BEGINNING LATE BY FRIDAY MORNING… CONTINUING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.
* IMPACTS… SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL IMPACTS DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS. TRAVEL WILL LIKELY BECOME IMPOSSIBLE IN MANY AREAS.
* WINDS… NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH… INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY.
* VISIBILITIES… MAY LOWER TO BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE IN PERIODS OF HEAVIER SNOW.
* TEMPERATURES… MOSTLY IN THE 20S.
A light snow fell Thursday night. Not much accumulation but it did leave snow and ice on some roadways.
Large crowds packed grocery stores throughout the region Thursday, wiping shelves clean of bread, meats and milk. Snow shovels and other such items were sought at hardware stores.
Floyd County Schools closed early Wednesday and will stay closed Thursday and Friday. Officials postponed a scheduled basketball homecoming at the high school until Feb. 12, along with the homecoming dance for the weekend.
Let the storm begin.