Organizers of the “first annual” Kanawha Valley Bike Rally probably hoped for a larger turnout than the moderate number of motorcyclists — most Harley “bikers” — who rode to the rodeo arena and equestrian center near Dugspur over the weekend.
Confederate flags outnumbered vendors, a “bikini bike wash” sat mostly empty and only a handful of bikes lined up for the custom show.
On Friday night, the band started late and then found itself playing to a mostly-empty arena as the evening wound down. That’s the problem with the aging population of Harley “bikers.” They go to bed early — to sleep.
Sunday’s forecast called for rain — all day.
- Harley-Davidson’s aging biker problem (money.cnn.com)
- The Floyd County motorcycle mafia (blueridgemuse.com)
- Gold Wing Heaven and Hell (motorcycleinsurance.org)
- Is It Time to Hop Back On Harley? (fool.com)
- Is Harley-Davidson Cruising for a Crash? (fool.com)