Power went out Thursday afternoon. Amy said she heard a loud â€œbangâ€ and then the backup generator kicked in. She called AEP and they promised to send someone right out.
And a repairman was there within the hour. He found a blown fuse on the transformer and some burnt area that indicated a small animal might have been where it shouldnâ€™t be. A quick search of the area found a charred, and quite dead, squirrel.
Recent high winds had ripped the animal guard off the transformer (and disposed of the lighting arrestor as well). He replaced both and had us back online. With power restored, the generator ran a diagnostic of the house and shut down â€“ just as it is programmed to do.
I gave the squirrel a proper burial.